“It’s important for me to have hope because that’s my job as a parent, to have hope, for my kids, that we’re not going to leave them in a world that’s in shambles, that’s a chaotic place, that’s a dangerous place.” ~ James Cameron, Film Director
Climate change has added various new words and terms into known vocabulary and books. Expressions like sea-level rise, Greenhouse gases are not much old. The discoveries and findings of science have introduced these words to humanity. Climate education is not a centuries-old term that has been around long in human linguistics.
Education is an essential and valuable tool to combat climate emergencies. It helps people understand how environmental changes impact their lives and whole humanity. The United Nations is doing a great job in this regard. Different agencies are promoting global warming education and public awareness.
Why does climate education matter?
Climate education’s primary goal is to prepare the millennials and Gen Zs for a sustainable future. People are essential resources. The idea behind climate education is to change the behavior of the people. Making climate education a part of the syllabus is a good option. Climate education will improve the ability to calculate the risks and prepare humans to thrive during a crisis. The promotion of climate education will help raise a generation that is already environmentally friendly. Instruction will help to increase the resilience of vulnerable communities. It will also allow citizens and other institutions to develop mitigation and adaptation techniques. Climate guidance will encourage them to adopt a lifestyle that respects human rights, natural resources, and biodiversity.
“Climate change is real. It is happening right now, it is the most urgent threat facing our entire species, and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating.” ~ Leonardo Di Caprio, Actor & Environmentalist
Climate awareness factors help the next generation understand how they can become part of the solution. People will become more aware of their contribution to the global climate efforts. In this regard, the UNFCCC is doing a great job providing tools to help people protect natural resources, develop renewable energy, and adopt an energy-efficient lifestyle. It is expected that the education process will help change people who are more prone to climate change.
Climate Change preparation will make people aware of the causes of global climate disruptions, the implications, and what they can do about it.
The UNFCCC and its agencies are doing a great job in establishing a framework for the education of people on climate change. Several resources aim at educating the public and communicating its significance. The internet is a place that can be a powerful tool in reaching your target audiences. Communication strategy, webinars, videos, e-books, forums, and many other interactive tools are available globally, with global warming awareness mainly focused at the local level.
There are different kinds of activities that aim to spread environmental awareness, and Education can occur at the preschool, middle school, and high school levels.
How to Ensure Environmental Awareness in Schools
* Preschool education can be divided into kindergarten and the third grade. This level deals with fundamental environmental issues like using environmental terms and basic science. Children are exposed to environmental education at the preschool level mainly focused on the basic concepts of the environment and basic science.
* Third-grade education deals with environmental consciousness and the basic science and social-emotional aspects. This level primarily deals with educating children on basic concepts of ecology. It deals with essential awareness, basic concepts, and basic science.
* High school education deals with the basic concepts of environmental awareness and basic science. It also deals with social and emotional aspects, and it involves developing personal habits to deal with environmental issues.
* The college level also deals with basic concepts and is primarily focused on communication and teamwork. The college-level prepares people for careers in various fields of science and related fields.
The role of communities and people in fighting climate emergencies
* Social awareness is the essential social interaction at the local level. It helps to develop the personal habits of dealing with climate change. These emotional habits of dealing are not formed by the school education alone. All the essential social awareness is developed by preschool education. In addition, third-grade education involves the development of crucial environmental awareness. The problem of ecological issues is widely known in preschool education, and it is on the agenda.
* High school education develops the essential social awareness of man. The basic social awareness at high school education is a broad awareness of things around. In high school, people have to be aware of global climate change. This high school education also develops personal habits of dealing with environmental issues.
* The college-level education is the last level to be talked about. However, it deals with an individual’s awareness. It deals with individual personal choices and habits. It develops personal attitudes on issues of global climate change.
It is found that high school education, college-level education, high school education, college education, community education, community level, individual level all together develop fundamental social awareness. It helps people realize that we share the world to an equal degree and that man’s life is interlinked to the environment.
The community level has also to be coordinated before achieving environmental awareness. Then we have to concentrate on local environmental issues and take the initiative to save the environment.
Sign up for our newsletter, and keep in touch for our coming collaborative partnerships to raise the awareness of climate change.
Michael T. Thomas